Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Oozing over from Facebook.....

Typed this out for facebook, so i figured I'd cut and paste ;-)

Rules: Once you've been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose 25 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you.

1. I love classic mysteries…. Christie, Sayers, Wentworth, and so on. And Joan Hickson is Miss Marple.

2. I have a real love/hate relationship with tv. I’ve gone long stretches without ;-) and now most of my viewing is actually stuff from Netflix: BBC, PBS, old musicals. Good stuff to knit to.

3. Given that, it’s no surprise that I refuse to have a tv in the living room or my bedroom – nor do I have cable (although the upcoming switch to digital may prompt having cable or the like, as we don’t get digital PBS here). And I hate commercials....and the materialistic culture they glorify. Ugh.

4. I tend to have rather low impulse control when in yarn shops ;-)

5. I’m rather obsessive over genealogy. I love digging around in old records and can get compulsive about finding answers – for myself or random people I ‘meet’ at on-line forums.

6. My books often seem to multiply on their own. On the other hand, I will admit that I have a visual enough memory that I’ve bought a duplicate book several times because the reprint had a changed cover.... argh.

7. I never have only one book I’m reading in progress or one knitting project going……always have several of each.

8. Many of the employees at the local library know me by name – it’s not unusual to walk in and have one of them tell me I’ve got holds waiting…..

9. Maine. My vacation destination of choice.

10. I love traveling, but given limited vacations days in the real world, see number 9.

11. I like winter. I dislike hot weather. It’s genetic – there’s a reason dad bought a summer place in Maine.

12. I really miss my mother. She was a wonderful person as well as a great mother. Cancer stinks!

13. I HATE using the phone – I was an early adopter of email for a reason ;-)

14. I much prefer interesting ‘hole in the wall’ restaurants to fancy/trendy places or chains. Asian food is good.Very good.

15. I frequently tease Jez that I’m going to trade her in for a new and improved model. Somehow, after 20 years, I don’t think she believes me……

16. On Mum’s side, my New England Yankee family goes back to the Mayflower, despite Gram telling me otherwise when I started researching. However, Dad’s side has been much more fun to trace in most ways - more challenging for inquisitive me.

17. I’m an information junkie – which leads to joining lots of FB groups and email lists as well as subscribing to way too many blogs via Google reader.

18. I don’t know which is scarier: my Amazon wishlist (a main list and multiple topical sublists) or my Outlook email folder structure…...

19. If I were well off (enough $$ to live at an ok level, with health coverage, without working or able to totally telecommute), I’d likely winterize the place in Maine and live there year-round. I have enough hermit tendencies that I wouldn’t mind getting snowed (or mudded) in a couple times a year……

20. I was born in the ‘People’s Republic of Cambridge’ – one of the most liberal cities in one of the most liberal states in the US. My parents chose to live there for a reason ;-)

21. If I had my way, we’d have half a dozen (or more) kids. Drat that PCOS!

22. I’d rather be barefoot.

23. I’m a rotten typist. That’s made worse when the cat decides she wants to curl up on my chest or arms….. which happens frequently this time of year as she tries to keep her old bones warm.

24. I think my dad is one of the best photographers around. A few samples.

25. Sometimes I think I don’t really belong anywhere….. Dad and Ted are atheists and don’t get the religious thing. My work and other such local friends don’t get the Jewish stuff, or my non-conformist streak, while I live far enough from the synagogue that I’m not really as much a part of that day-to-day community the way I’d like to be. I'm pretty much Modern Orthodox in theological outlook but I mostly follow Sephardi minhagim. My UU upbringing (yes, there were cars in the parking lots that had "Question authority" and "To question is the answer" bumperstickers) has also left its mark. My views on political and other things are such a mix that I really don’t fit in any subgroup that way. Most people my age have kids. Seth and I are more alike than he sometimes thinks in our beliefs but there’s still the whole me no longer being a plain Quaker that he has trouble with…… So I guess that being a shy introvert is a good thing for me, after all ;-)

No comments: