Friday, February 06, 2009

Interviewed

Prompted by seeing this at Marlyn's blog.....posting at lunch so I get it in before Shabbat.

1. What is your favourite guilty pleasure?
Oh..... I have so many..... really, I do (chocolate, expensive yarn....). Hard to decide. But I'll go with reading romances. The junkier the better. Most of my reading is high-falutin' serious stuff, and I can't veg out to the tv (have to knit or the like or I fall asleep....), so I read romances to completely veg out - the stage beyond unwinding with a cozy mystery. I completely let go of any critical reading skills (although I admit bonified in place of bona fide did get a second look.....)

2. If you could meet one person - who’s alive today - who would it be and why?
Another tough one... My first thought was a couple on-line friends that I'm really, really, really eager to meet -- people I've corresponded with extensively or run into on various websites for years. But I continue to hope that I'll meet them one day, so I don't want to list them (and I certainly don't want to list just one of them and slight the others).

Most Hollywood stars wouldn't interest me for long, and I'd likely spend the time giving various politicians (from all points on the spectrum) a piece of my mind....some a much bigger piece than others ;-)

So I'm going to go with the chief rabbi of the UK: Jonathan Sacks. I've read most of his books. Don't always agree with him, but he's got an amazing mind. Well educated in Torah and in secular topics, so I expect he would be an interesting person to spend some time talking to.

3. If you could have any profession in the world, what would it be?

Another hard question. Seriously.... a three part answer.

My goal most of my life was to be a homemaker/wife/homeschooling mother. Started wishing for a dozen kids before I was in high school (had names picked out for them, even...except for the oldest boy, who'd be a junior ; combination of biological and adopted - I'd read The Family Nobody Wanted about the time [summer I was 8] I'd read another book that really influenced me), then scaled that back to half a dozen when I hit 30 and was still unmarried. So that would be my first choice, although HaShem/the universe/etc. seems to have decided that's not for me.

The one that I could have done that I frequently regret not going into: I went away to university planning to major in anthropology. Ended up in a different slice of the social sciences spectrum (public policy studies), but still often regret not going into either physical/forensic anthropology or archeology..... or going further with my MA in linguistics. Lost of the serious reading I do is linguistics, osteolgy, forensic antrolpogy, and the like....

The one that I toy with still doing: genealogist. I have the background that I could get certified relatively easily, and I keep thinking I should....... I don't really have the right personality to do freelance work (too shy/introverted), but in my daydreams about it, I get a job at NEHGS or the like....

On the other hand, being an editor of a knitting magazine would work ;-)

4. I know you're a crafting person. What is your favourite craft?
Knitting, pretty much. Nice and portable, and always something new.

But with a side of dyeing yarn. I really love the whole process - I just haven't had the time to really get my Etsy shop going, and I otherwise dye at a much faster rate than I can use.

5. Where would you go, if you could go anywhere in the world? Who (if anyone) would you take with you?

Another three part answer......and that's really narrowing it down (as I could just as easily say Korea, Thailand, Turkey, somewhere with Mayan/Aztec/Incan ruins, or Australia.....)
Maine. Scotland. Israel.
Maine is a given. My favorite place to be.
But I also want to go back to Scotland and explore lots more.
Israel is obvious - even though I've never been there, it feels like it is as much the place of my spiritual ancestry as Scotland is my physical ;-)

Who would I take with me?
To Maine/Scotland: Dad. Seth. Ted.
To Israel: Seth, Yael, Chaviva, and their spouses/families.
Of course, I'd ditch all of them (well, except Dad and maybe Ted) for being able to take Mum along ;-)

For those of you who might want to be interviewed, here are the directions:

1. Leave me a comment saying, “Interview me.”
2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. (I get to pick the questions <grin>).
3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

1 comment:

Jenny Girl said...

Very interesting reading. I'm with you on both the Scotland trip and studying anthropology. These questions are too tough to answer:)