Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Most of the time....

Most of the time, I love modern technology and the gadgets it generates. I'm at the point that I feel more lost than I should if I don't have my phone handy - although I use it to text, email, IM, and surf the 'Net more than I use it to call people (that shy introvert does make an appearance occasionally.....not a big phone talker....)

However, occasionally, it means standing in line at Wegman's (another modern convenience I'd hate to give up......yeah, I also shop at Trader Joe's, farmers' markets, and Amish farm stands, but Weggie's is the close/easy go-to choice for the majority of my food shopping) and getting an email that one of your favorite people has died. It wasn't unexpected, as she was in her mid-80s and had been sick for a while, but it still feels like a big part of my childhood has just died. Some of the best times I had growing up -- at least those that didn't take place in Maine -- involved her.

Oh, and in case you were wondering -- my mother, under similar circumstances - emailed my brother and me to tell us Gram had died. I come by the shy introverted non-phone person honestly. I'll leave it to you to argue nature vs. nurture ;-)

1 comment:

Sir Galen of Bristol said...

I'm very sorry for your loss.