Monday, June 05, 2006

Carrot cake recipe

Typed this up (since it normally resides on a couple sticky notes on the side of my fridge) to post at the coffeeshop at Knitty, so I figured I'd post it here as well.

“Lighter” Carrot Cake

Grease a 9 x 13 pan (or two smaller pans work as well).

Mix:
2 C sugar
½ C vegetable oil
½ C applesauce
2 whole eggs + 2 egg whites

Add:
2 C flour
1 t salt
1 t soda
1 t baking powder
1 t cinnamon

Stir in:
3C shredded** carrots
½ C walnut pieces***
½ C raisins

Bake 60 to 75 minutes at 325 degrees****

Icing
Soften, then mix together:
1 stick (1/4 lb) butter
6 oz cream cheese (Neufchatel)
Mix in:
1 t vanilla
2 C confectioners’ sugar

* Yes, this is the lighter Laughing version, developed by my mother and me after my dad had open heart surgery. But if you don't tell anyone it is the lighter version, they won't notice.
** The pre-shredded packaged kind ok.
*** The pre-chopped ones are ok here as well.
**** Can be frozen after baking but without the icing.

No comments: