1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I’m not a very picky person about yarn — I tend to match the yarn to the project. I do tend to avoid acrylics [100% acrylics - I use wool/acrylic blends for baby stuff] and fun furs (don’t like working with them and most projects I am attracted to don’t need those).
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
A couple big plastic containers, with a few smaller container inside those to separate different types of needles. (I have my own needles, plus those I inherited from my mother……..)
3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
30+ years, although serious knitting has only been the last couple years and a few similar previous spells. Intermediate level.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? yes - Amazon. Profile has links to all the sublists (by topic), while the things I’m most interested and/or those that don’t fall into my major categories that get a sublisting are on the main list. Plus, a decent chunk of my library (including all the knitting books) is listed online at LibraryThing (a resource which is worth checking out if you haven’t seen it yet).
5. What’s your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) Either subtle flower/plant smells (lilac/lavender) or ‘baking’/homey ones like vanilla, key lime pie, or apple cinnamon
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? Yes. Chocolate (milk chocolate is the first choice, followed by white).
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I want to learn to spin and weave; currently do some photography and sewing.
8. What kind of music do you like? Scottish folk, Jewish, some country, much classical. Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? Yes
9. What’s your favorite color? Or–do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can’t stand? Love purple and mauve, with the colonial family [as I call it: sage green and slate blue] not far behind. Apartment is done in what I think of as dark rich colors: navy, burgundy/maroon, hunter green with bits of purple/lavender and mauve to lighten it up.Yellows/reds/oranges make me look like I died three days ago, so I tend to avoid them.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? Married, no children, one cranky old cat
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Yes to all but ponchos
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I’ll do just about anything.
13. What are you knitting right now? A couple baby sweaters, a couple scarves to give away, another pair of socks, a purse, and a lace shawl
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? yes
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? Depends on the project and the yarn. I use all of them at various times.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Have a winder but not a swift.
17. How did you learn to knit?
My mother was a dedicated knitter, so she taught me when I was 6 or 7 or so.
18. How old is your oldest UFO?
I’ve got a sweater that I’ve puttered on for almost ten years; I’d forgotten about it until I was rummaging for Flash Your Stash and found it at the bottom of a bin of stuff..
19. What is your favorite holiday?
Pesach (Passover), although I also have a great fondness for Shavuos (who wouldn’t like a holiday that involves cheesecake and staying up all night learning interesting stuff?)
20. Is there anything that you collect?
Post-it notes with cute pictures/sayings, calendars, mugs, t-shirts and canvas bags with pictures of things I’m interested in (cats, Scotland, Maine, genealogy, Judaism) [I’ve managed to help Cafe Press’s business quite a bit ].
21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? Receive Interweave. See Amazon wishlist for books.
22. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn? Fair Isle is next.
23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes. Well, actually, I’m learning to kit socks; I've finished a couple pair. Wear a size 8 wide.
24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) 5/19